Week 5: Attending a Class Reunion is #BetterByBicycle

When I was still studying, I often hear from other people that high school is the best part of a person's academic journey. My teacher once said that during grade school, we're still quite ignorant about much of the real world while during college, we had to be really serious with our studies because the success of our career will heavily be determined by the kind of self-discipline we instilled in ourselves in college. And high school? Well exciting things happen during our adolescent years. We've got a rage of hormones that make us feel all sort of things towards other people. And the good thing about high school was, there's just enough dose of seriousness with our studies and fun with our friends that allows us to have a balanced life. For most people anyway. See, I have always been an introvert and I didn't really have so many friends in high school. My life then was a cycle between home and school. I don't hang out with friends after classes. I bonded with our television at home most of the time, so a lot of my fondest memories of  my teenage years were the different anime series and television shows I watched during my free time. I've had friends, sure, but I didn't really think of them as a lifelong relationships. After my high school graduation, I lost touch with everyone from high school except my cousins.

Over the past few years, I started to reconnect with some of my high school friends and classmates through social media. But it doesn't go beyond the usual engagements like reacting or commenting to a post or small talks in messaging apps.  Then a few months ago, one of my friend approached me online to ask if I could represent our section in organizing the 25th anniversary reunion of our batch. I was surprised and at the same time fascinated at the thought that it had been 25 years. Oh how time flies... I hesitated at first because I thought, shouldn't the responsibility be given to someone who's more authorized, like a class president? Or at least someone who's well connected to a lot of our batchmates. But there seems to be no one up for the task so I graced the invitation to be part of the organizing committee. 

So on our first meeting, I met some familiar faces and some I had no idea who they were. We elected officers, picked a date, conceptualize the event and assigned the tasks among ourselves. We held more meetings regularly and discussed more online to polish our grand reunion. It was an interesting experience. It was heartwarming to see my batchmates work together to bring out a successful alumni homecoming. Not everyone was onboard but majority, including those who couldn't make it, contributed to ensure that everyone attending the grand reunion will have a memorable experience. It's not always smooth sailing though. There were times when the members of the organizing committee would have disagreements over some things. Which is normal in any group. What I'm really proud of, was that we remained professional and was able to set aside our differences, because at the end of the day, we all share a common goal, to make our class reunion successful and memorable. Many of us went above and beyond our assigned roles, working over time and some had to shell out money out of their own pockets just to accommodate the unforeseen expenses. It was a classic bayanihan spirit. Being part of this endeavor was an experience that I am eternally grateful. 

The SIC-HS Class of 1999 preparing for the motorcade. Can you spot my bike?


The Psyclist is attending the mass 😄

So on May 4, 2024, the San Ildefonso College High School department class of 1999 came together, 25 years after graduating from their beloved alma mater. We started the day with a thanksgiving mass, followed by a motorcade then a dinner party in the evening. As part of the organizing committee, I had to be present in all those activities. Of course, I went to all the venues using my bicycle. I wanted to ride my bike during the motorcade too, but the heat was unbearable that day, so I ended up folding my bike and got into one of the vans.

perks of a folding bike

A lot of my batchmates are now based in different towns or cities, so majority of the attendees didn't partake in the morning activities. The most awaited part of the event was the dinner party. The venue was 1.5 km from my home, naturally I cycled my way there. One of the good thing about bicycle is that you don't have to worry about parking. Ideally, business establishments has a provision for bike parking, but even in its absence, looking for a safe place to park the bike is not much of a trouble. I can't say the same for motorcycles and cars. I was in charge of the media logistics and some set backs did happen, and I'm just glad that I decided to go with a bike because it was easier to run to shops when there's something I needed that was not available. Some of my classmates were baffled to see me come and go a couple of times with my bike before the program started. 

Anyway, the whole experience was magical. To be in the same room again with my high school classmates after 25 years with background music of the late 90s. I did feel being transported back in time when we didn't have much to worry. We played games, danced, listened to the messages of our teachers, eat and drink and most importantly, we reminisced about the old times. Well they did mostly. I was busy running the show that I really didn't get the chance to catch up with everyone. But it was fine, I wasn't a good talker anyway, so my assignment was kind of a good excuse to avoid getting stuck in a conversation. But I had a great time. It was just so fulfilling to see everyone have a blast. 

One of the many obligatory group photo


We elected a new set of officers, and unsurprisingly, they elected the same people. So yeah, I'm one of the officers again. There wasn't a clear agreement yet whether we'll have another reunion in 3, 5 or 10 years after this. But one thing's for sure. Wherever that may be, I will get there on my bicycle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Going to Work/School is #BetterByBicycle

A Personal Challenge

Week 8: Grocery Shopping is #BetterByBicycle