Week 29: Getting a Haircut is #BetterByBicycle

I was given a workload to teach Understanding The Self this semester, a course intended to facilitate the exploration of the issues and concerns regarding self and identity to arrive at a better understanding of one’s self. And as I was reviewing my powerpoint for my upcoming lecture, the Physical Self, I am reminded that I needed to get a haircut. Not that I wanted a physical make over, I don't really pay much attention to it. But I know I'm already due for it because my bangs are starting to sting my eyes. That has always been my cue. And while some people have a particular parlor or salon or hair stylist to go to, I have none. It's always, whichever is the closest, the most convenient, the most reasonably priced. I'm lucky that we've got plenty of parlors around the town. There's actually a barber shop near my house, walking distance, my dad gets his haircut there. The only thing is, I don't go to a barber shop, ever. I don't know how barber shops are seen in other countries, but here, only male customers go to barber shop. Even though my hairstyle preference can actually be taken care of by a barber, I feel more comfortable being handled by gays or women (the barbers here are all straight male!).  

So yeah, I decided to get a haircut the next day, but I had a scheduled appointment in the afternoon and I didn't want to put off getting a haircut to another day. I had to leave at 12:00 noon, which means I need to get the haircut in the morning. I left home around 9:50 A.M., pedaled my way to the usual parlor I go to. Now here's the part where I explain why it's best to get there by bicycle. It was still closed. I had two options - I can wait for the parlor to open or look for another parlor. While I know that most shops open at 10:00 AM, I also know that some small businesses don't strictly follow their declared operation hours, some would even close for a day without notifying its customers. While it sounds unprofessional, I'm pretty used to it so I no longer make a big deal out of it. I didn't want to wait with uncertainty so I pedaled again to look for another parlor. In 500 m I found another parlor, but it was also closed. I do not know all the parlors in the town so this time I started using Google maps to search. Third time's a charm, the next parlor I went to was finally open. 

Parking is never a problem

So finally I had my haircut. Whether I liked how I look or not was not the first thing that comes to my mind, it always feels better to unload or cut off parts of you that has become a burden, so yeah, it felt great. I'm pretty neutral if I liked it though, but then again, it didn't really bother me that much, I always tell myself, oh it will grow back 😁

Physical change is so obvious, I now have a live material for my next lecture

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 25: Bird watching is #BetterByBicycle

Week 19: Finding a Hidden Cafe/Bar is #BetterByBicycle

Week 7: Traversing a Bridge is #BetterByBicycle